Gary's 2010 Photo A Day project

Gary Griffin  who lives in Middletown, Delaware and works in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania spent 2010 taking a photo every day and posting it on Facebook...



Why did you decide to do this project? I've always been intrigued by photography and wanted to explore that further. Also, I wanted to document my life for a year in photos. I was influenced by seeing a similar project done by someone else who lived in Miami a year or two earlier.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It affected me in several ways. First, I saw more of Philadelphia in 2010 than I had in the prior 19 years I worked in the city. I learned that Philadelphia is the city of murals - and saw hundreds of them. I found that the murals brought beauty, community involvement and pride to even the poorest, most challenged neighborhoods. I also saw some much more of the city - both its natural beauty and its incredible architectural wonders.

Second, it was a real challenge. I promised myself that I would do all I could to find new things each day to photograph. This promise tested me, especially in Philadelphia, as I work a 8 to 5 work day. The thing that made it all possible was that I work in Center City and had easy access to Philadelphia's two subway systems and the regional railroad lines.

Third, I was able to really develop the adventurer and explorer side of my personality (which is not something I can do very often as I'm an accountant)! I would plan most of my daily walks in the city and have a route I traveled by foot and by subway or rail. I became more aware of the world around me. I was deeply afffected by the people and places I saw. For example, I could see and feel the high level of unemployment in Philadelphia. I found that I often spoke to God as during my walks and photographed the beauty I saw.

Finally, I was able to document my large family and how they changed over the course of the year. It was wonderful.



See all of Gary's photos HERE.

No comments: