365 Postcards

Jakki in Perth, Australia is creating 365 Postcards...




Why did you decide to do this project? I'd just recently started my first full time job near the end of last year, and whilst I love my job I also needed an outlet to express myself a bit more creatively. I love drawing and illustrating, but had been a bit demotivated to create anything worth putting on my site especially since I was busy with my new job and all! As any person who likes drawing may know - it can take a lot of effort to actually start something - especially if you don't have many ideas in mind.

As soon as I heard about the 365 project I decided I might as well give it a shot - after all, I could improve my drawing and creative output all the while having some way of creating something new each day. I decided on doing postcards because everyone loves postcards - they're simple yet such a great way to show off different artwork.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? The progression I've made from January up until now has been quite noticeable I think. I originally thought I'd just take half an hour - maybe an hour to complete one postcard a day, and as a result, my postcards were simple and quite easy to create at the start. Not saying the designs weren't effective, because I do like some of my earlier ones but I rather like how I've progressed now the most. I now take a lot more time to think of ideas, and to draw them as well.

My illustrating techniques have improved a fair deal as well, which is awesome. A lot of people have commented on how cool it is to see the progression and a new illustration each day; it's really flattering. I always have to remember to set aside some time each day to make a postcard, especially since I'm busy with a full time job as well. Sometimes I've even gotten my boyfriend to help me create a postcard for the day because I've been so busy (which is really nice because he really wants me to finish this project too!) so if it wasn't for him, I would have already skipped some days! It was hard to get into a routine at first, but now I think I could do this for quite a while yet! :)

Making something everyday is so much fun, and I even have notes scribbled everywhere of the things I'd like to draw next. Every time I have an idea, I jot it down and when I'm stuck on a blank canvas there's always something to turn to for inspiration. I love thinking of new ideas to draw - especially on the bus! - and it's so satisfying to see the end product at the end of the day. I'm hoping to print some postcards at the end of my project and distribute them - maybe even make a huge wall collage. My creativity ebbs and flows - but now that I've seen what I CAN do, I can't wait to see all my postcards at the end of the year!



See all of Jakki's postcards HERE.

No comments: