Kara365

Kara "near" Boston making a sketch every day in kara365...



Why did you decide to do this project? After going to college and grad school, and finally getting a foothold in the working world, I reflected and knew that the one thing that really kept my interest was anything to do with graphic design. So I decided to go back to school to pursue it. I took a drawing class this semester and I really enjoyed it, but I learned that drawing is a skill that disappears quickly if you don’t practice it frequently. I had occasionally seen sites where people did something everyday for a year, so I did some research and found lots of great examples (including this site).



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I am only to day 31, but I told myself that if I made it to my first 30-day goal I would submit my blog to this site. I didn’t want to get ahead of myself. The fact that I have actually made it to my first goal has really boosted my confidence – in both my slowly developing artistic skills and in my ability to stick with something, which I always have a hard time doing. And it can definitely be frustrating at times, especially after a particularly long day, to think “oh, I still have to do my sketch” when all I want to do is go to sleep. But it’s beginning to take a place in my daily routine and even when I am exhausted I still like to do it. I have set myself an additional goal for my next 30-day period: to spend at least 15 minutes on each drawing. Some of my very first ones are embarrassing because I spent all of 5 minutes (at the most) on them. So, I am devoting more time to it in increments as I go along. So far, it’s been incredibly rewarding! I am excited to see where this will lead me to in the future.


See all of Kara's sketches HERE.

No comments: