Koru 365

Lauren Ayer in San Francisco, California & Santa Fe, New Mexico is creating Koru 365...






Why did you decide to do this project? Two reasons, really. First, spending years in a corporate cubicle really stunted my creativity and I had been searching for a way to change that for some time when I learned about 365. Second, I decided to take a six month leave of absence from work and move from San Francisco to Santa Fe for the duration and thought that having a daily creative task would help keep me creatively focused despite no longer having a strict schedule. I chose the Maori koru as my subject because it symbolizes new life, growth, strength and peace -- exactly what I hope to bring into my life during this time off.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? Every day is like a treasure hunt. Not only have I found a wealth of koru images nearly everywhere I've gone, as well as inspiration for projects that cross a variety of media, it has also inspired stronger connections with my friends and family who have sent me korus from all over the world. And in the process I have become much more aware of my entire environment, seeing beautiful tiny or hidden things I might have otherwise missed had I not been koru-hu.


See all of Lauren's Koru HERE.

No comments: