365 Monsters

Jen in Fairfield, Iowa is making 365 Monsters...





Why did you decide to do this project? When I found the 365 book in the middle of January, my job had become more stressful than I ever dreamed it would be. It occurred to me that I would need something reliable and consistent to distract myself in the evenings so I wouldn't obsess over work in the evenings, so I decided to start this project. The idea of making monsters really appealed to me because they can range from truly scary to deceptively adorable, and so I could use that to get my frustrations out for the day should the need arise.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I like to knit and crochet, but often stop myself from making things because I don't have a need for the finished product, and I used to draw all the time, but the habit of doodling was lost when I grew up and became a "practical adult." Doing a little something every day has definitely helped me feel more creative and balanced (and thankfully distracted from my day job). In a world of instant gratification, it's really nice to end the day with something that I made all by myself, that didn't take a whole lot of time, yet still has heart in it. I've even surprised myself: in the description for my very first monster, I stated that I hadn't had much success with polymer clay in the past, but I haven't had problems with any of the clay pieces since I started this project! Not to mention the revival of my poor neglected blog. Overall, this project just makes me feel good.


See all of Jen's monsters HERE.

1 comment:

Deborah Moore said...

These monsters are varied and I love the reasoning behind creating them. Who doesn't have to deal with monsters at work after all. Kudos and the best of luck on continuing on.