You Could Work Or...

Graeme McNee, creator of the daily Minimal Comics, in Kobe, Japan, has started another 365 project he calls: You Could Work Or... . He explains, "You could go to work everyday, or you could goof off and do something fun instead. I've decided to draw the 'something fun instead' every day. I post the pictures during morning rush time, to inspire workers checking out the site on their iPhones to hop off that train, call in sick and seize the day!"


Why did you decide to do this project? If you love your job, then you don't need to bother with my site. But if your job sucks, then you might want to check it out. I got tired of speaking to workers here in Japan who pull 12 hour days, take 20 minute lunch breaks, do stacks of unpaid overtime, and only use four or five of their 20 days annual paid vacation. They put in this extra effort not because they love their work, but because they are scared of losing their job and having no money. It's a real shame because if they just had a little more confidence in their abilities they could be making a much better life for themselves and enjoying more of what the world has to offer. Anyway, this site is for them. Or for people who have a day off and are trying to think of something fun to do.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It's made me spend my own time more wisely! When I wake up and think about what to draw for the day, I often come up with something I can actually go and do myself. The site is still in early days, but as time goes on I'm sure I'll have to think of more exciting and unusual things to do with the day. Also, it means I have fewer of those "gahhhh, I totally wasted today" moments.


See all of Grame's alternatives to work HERE.

1 comment:

Frances said...

Nice one Graeme. I like your suggestions!