365 Unbroken Lines

Beatrice Dietel in Leipzig, Germany is creating 365 Unbroken Lines.  She explains the project as, "Sketches without taking the pen from the paper. The sketches depict anything that comes to my mind or catches my eye: people, objects, ideas for later drawings or paintings, exceptional moments of the day; all in all, absolutely anything, sort of like a visual diary. I don't intend to create masterpieces, I just want to practice on a daily basis."



Why did you decide to do this project? The first issue of the German magazine 'flow' contained an article about '365-day-projects', a concept which I found really interesting. Actually, one of my new years resolutions for 2014 was to do at least one sketch in my diary every day to get some regularity into my drawing, but as always I was too lazy and didn't feel any 'imperative' to implement my, perhaps hastily formed, resolution. I therefore hoped that this blog and project will give me the regularity I desire and offer me an opportunity to train my eye and creativity alike, as I would like to improve my drawing and my artistic output in general. Fortunately, 'flow' also offered a list of 116 ideas for 365-days-projects from which I picked one to carry out. I wanted to start a project that would help me stop being such a perfectionist, as I never finished anything I started.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I've become way more enthusiastic about doing art again and finishing something on a regular basis encourages me to become better and to produce more, even if it's not perfect. I'm also considering to apply for an art college. This is something I always wanted to do but thoughts like 'I'm not good enough/not talented enough/not creative enough' kept me away from it. Fortunately, this is slowly changing. Another thing I realized is that I already have some kind of style and that really surprised me!


Follow Beatrice's lines on her blog HERE and on Facebook HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing my project!