Rey-a-Day

Michael Firman in Ontario, Canada is making an illustration of the character Rey from the movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens daily in his Rey-a-Day project!



Why did you decide to do this project?  After watching the movie, and enjoying the new characters, I made Rey fanart. I wasn't happy with how it turned out, so I tried again the next day. This process is looping indefinitely.  Committing to it as a project was whim and maintaining the commitment is a love of its absurdity. 



How has doing a project affected your life? 
My art skills & self-discipline are improving. I'd considered myself in a 'slump' earlier this year, so besides technique, the daily routine is exercising my ability to produce and surrender something without freezing over flaws or how it will be received. The constraint of subject is forcing me to think in a creative and exploratory way to try to keep the days fresh. It's encouraging to hear from everyone entertained by the work, and I am grateful for having an audience! It's always interesting when people tell me which illustrations they most enjoy because there's such variety in the answers, and sometimes I'll post an image thinking, "Oh no, is this my worst one yet?" and someone will cheerily proclaim it as their new favourite.


I don't mean to overemphasize outside attention though. Ultimately a daily project will develop character, personal value & creative liberation when it's made for the person making it. Don't worry about making something bad. Don't worry if they're all bad! Who cares! Even if it's not obvious progress when you look at your own work, you are learning something every time you try. Dailies expedite development.

You can find all of Michael's Rey's on Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr




No comments: