The #griefheart Project

Anne Moss Rogers is Richmond, Virginia is creating The #griefheart project.



Why did you decide to do this project?
 On April 11, 2016, I started posting a heart a day to help me heal on my grief journey since my son Charles’ suicide June 5, 2015. He was 20. 

The purpose? To give suicide loss survivors like me permission to remember a loved one that died by suicide. The #griefhearts represent the state of my heart in the grief journey, a memory of my son, honor another who died by suicide, show support from others or makes a point for the purpose of suicide awareness. Others are encouraged to be part of the project and I have published guidelines. 

It’s about all of us telling our stories and allowing us to share memories of our loved ones that died by suicide. This has never been encouraged. We are allowed to speak their names without whispering, share our memories without shame or judgment and honor our own grief journey.

Learning to live without the person that was my purpose is probably the hardest part of my grief journey. After my son died, my creativity did, too. I wanted a project that honored his memory, opened up conversation about suicide because it saves lives and rekindle my own creativity to remind me that I am alive and have a purpose. I saw Noah speak at a local event about his Skull-A-Day project and it hit me that day what I needed to do. 



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life?
 I have discovered so many things about others and myself. I didn’t expect the outpouring of support. I didn’t expect that others would want to honor their loved ones with a #griefheart. I didn’t expect young adults to write me and thank me for bringing attention to a topic that is often swept under the rug and ignored.

I have learned to accept help and support with grace. I have learned to accept that some days are good and some are still very hard. I have connected with others who have lost a loved one by suicide or otherwise. I have learned that I’m not always the captain of this journey.

And yes, it has rekindled my creativity. But it’s done so much more than that.

Since I started it, I have been able to complete a school program of suicide prevention for schools that is unlike any other out there. Piloting in Virginia soon.

See all of Anne's #griefhearts HERE








3 comments:

Unknown said...

Noah,

I am grateful for your creativity that inspires others which awakens their passions that leads to connections. This is the genesis of community.

Thank you!
RG

webgal said...

Thank you for featuring this project. While people think grief and suicide awareness are not "happy" subjects, it actually has had "happy" results in that people have honored their own grief journey, those contemplating suicide have gotten help. I didn't expect it to save lives but it has. Thank you Noah for your inspiration.

mim said...

This is a beautiful and moving project. What a wonderful way to use a 365 project. This expression of grief is so touching.