A-Painting-A-Day

Sarah Hand in Richmond, VA is making A-Painting-A-Day...



Why did you decide to do this project?  I get in a funk – creatively and generally – in January. This year seemed particularly funk-y, and I decided to jumpstart February with a project that had forward momentum and color! I chose a painting-a-day because I want to improve my painting skills, expand my subject matter, get looser, and build my portfolio. I was inspired by a few folks I follow on Instagram who also do paintings every day. And I found the idea of making a painting every day to be just the slightest bit scary (could I do it?!!!)... That feeling of challenge pushed me to do it!


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I've just entered the second month of my challenge and I have to say that it is one of the best parts of my day. I look forward to it - even if I've put it off until just before midnight! Sitting down and getting lost in a painting - it's everything! My mood is better - my funk has lifted. And the more I create, the more ideas I've been having and the better and faster my making gets. Posting my art on social media - specifically, Instagram - has been fun. The support is amazing. And it's cool to see which paintings people respond to - often, they aren't my personal favorites. That pushes me to look more closely at my work and figure out what people are connecting with. Mostly, though, this project is about play, and I definitely feel happier and happier with every painting I make.

See all of Sarah's daily paintings HERE.  




No comments: