My Arm: the Comic

Patrick Yurick in San Diego California is creating My Arm: the Comic He explained that it was, "conceived after buying a $50 Groupon for a tattoo and agonizing over commitment until the idea of creating a blank comic template came to mind. 5 months later, and a lot of teasing from artistic friends, the template was done and on July 1st "My Arm: the Comic" was launched with the goal of embracing daily creativity without the hustle and bustle that a graphically demanding comic project would entail."



Why did you decide to do this project? I am working on a 2 year long project called "American BOOM!" and it is really time intensive and requires a lot of patience. I sometimes work on a page 20 hours with my business partner, Alonso Nunez, and it is exhausting to do. While, at the same time, I am running a business: Little Fish Comic Book Studio Because of these two projects I found myself not drawing as much as I would like to.



When I got the groupon and brainstormed for the tattoo - it came up as a natural idea to get a blank comic section on my arm to fill in, and then it was a natural movement to make a goal of doing daily work with it. This is my relaxation project. I am encouraging my friends and fans to write me strips to do every day. It already is becoming a really fun conversation starter and I have really enjoyed the positive praise since beginning.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I have been only doing this a week. I think the biggest ways it has affected my life is that people love to talk to me about it. It is so easy to understand as a concept that people just love to come up to me and discuss the comic in a way that they never really did with my more serious projects "Hipster Picnic" & "American BOOOM!". So that is fun.


Follow Patrick's arm HERE.




1 comment:

SueBK said...

If Patrick's following the Creativity Journal, I'd be really interested to see how he tackles Day 11 - work with your non-dominant hand ;-)