365 actions to succeed as an author

Amy Morse, author of The Bronze Box (as Amy C Fitzjohn), in Bristol, UK recently completed her Book365 project and is now spending a year on: Operation Author: 365 actions to succeed as an author...

 

Why did you decide to do this project AND How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life?   When I finished Project Book365 at the end of last year, far from being relieved, I was already thinking about the next project from about day 350.

I mind mapped a few ideas and played around with the pro's and con's and eventually settled on:  'Operation Author: 365 actions to succeed as an author'.

On Day 180 of my first 365 project, I achieved a personal goal and ticked something off my Bucket List - I published my first novel.

As any author will tell you, whether you self publish or traditionally publish your book, that's just the beginning.  Writers are expected to handle their own marketing and promotion for their work (unless they're amazingly lucky, can afford to hire a publicist or they are a celebrity).

It's not something that comes easily to many of us.

The key is to make it a habit, part of your daily routine - like brushing your teeth or feeding the cat - take one action every day, even a small one, and eventually you'll be 365% closer to your dream of establishing yourself as a writer - Percentages never were my strong suit, but you get the picture!

I update my Idea-ism blogsite weekly with my seven actions.

Part of taking on a project like this is that you need to share it with others, if you don’t, there is no accountability, except to yourself, and that’s not enough to stay motivated.

By the end of the year, I would like to have raised my profile as a writer and start making some money from writing.  I also hope that my tips, successes and failures can help other writers to overcome their fear of marketing with some simple, practical things to try for themselves.  We're in it together, writers of the world, so let's help each other out.





Follow Amy's new project HERE.
Read her preview 365 interview HERE.

No comments: