Kathy's Poem-A-Day Follow-Up

Kathy completed her year long Poem-A-Day project on February 20, 2014...

•DAY 17 - Make something inspired by and/or that goes over an eye. 3/6

Cy’s Limerick
There once was a pirate named Cy
A patch he wore over his eye
He appeared very scary
His face was all  hairy
But he was really a pretty nice guy

What are the biggest lessons/skills you learned from doing your project?
I can write poetry at the drop of a hat, although I must say sites like RhymeZone are invaluable when doing 365 poems!  I also did many of the projects as well so that was fun and I did things I hadn’t done before like making a paper scale with photos of Twinkies for Day 145 - “Make something incongruous lacking harmony or compatibility or appropriateness.”  I took many photos, a favorite for Day 245 - Defy gravity, a photo of my husband lying on a recliner wrapped up in a blanket superimposed on an outside photo by a fence that looks like he’s floating.  So with the projects I learned to create with things I had never thought of doing before.


•DAY 22 - Create a bridge.  Connect two things in a creative way.  It could be small enough for an amoeba or big enough for an elephant to cross it. 3/11/13

Haiku
Golden Gate Bridge shines
Glowing entrance to the Bay
Towers kissing clouds

In what ways did the project change your life? It sparked my creativity in so many ways and had a positive influence on my day-to-day life.  I had gone through some physical challenges and it really helped me see life in a more positive way.  All better now.  :-)

•DAY 59 - Mix and match.  Work with two materials that generally don’t go together, like markers and bananas or leaves and binder clips. 4/16/13

Republicans and democrats
Go together like dogs and cats
There’s seldom a subject on which they agree
No matter how logical might be the plea

If one votes yes then the other votes no
Regardless of whether it’s apropos
The voters’ will is seldom addressed
Rather they pass the party line test

Now what? I am doing an act of kindness, pay it forward, human connection - not sure what to call it, but a few examples so far:  Sending home made cards to friends for no reason; leaving positive notes in books at the library or bookstore or on community bulletin boards for strangers to find; complimenting those who go above and beyond in stores or restaurants and taking it a step forward by telling their bosses.

But I’m taking a photography class beginning Friday and am thinking I may intersperse with photos on some days as long as I do something daily.

•DAY 60 - Make something that casts a shadow.  4/18/13

A shadow emerges from the dark
Foreboding in the night
A scary silhouette emerges
It’s size heightens fright

The figure casts a shadow
Across the alleyway
Made larger by the streetlight
It’s just the neighborhood stray


Read Kathy's original 365 interview HERE.


•DAY 119 - Create an animal that has never existed before.  6/16/13

I created the perfect animal pet
A combination dog and cat
It barks only when guarding the house
And never around is there a mouse

Can be alone when we’re not home
But doesn’t very far roam
Is fun to leash and take a walk
For rides in the car doesn’t balk

As a baby doesn’t everything eat
Or scratch the couch with clawing feet
Not a flea nor a hair ball
But unconditional love most of all

No comments: