365 Squarey Monsters

 Kurt Marquart in New York is making 365 Squarey Monsters...



Why did you decide to do this project? I've been inspired by so many artists, but ever since I discovered your Skull-A-Day project I've been trying to come up with my own project. There is another project by Stefan Bucher (100 Days of Monsters) called The Daily Monster that really made me feel like I needed to commit myself to something similar. As a self-employed illustrator and toy designer I can get lost when I don't have an assignment. But I've always thrived on the pressure. When I have to get something done I can really make something I can be happy with. I need the structure of guidelines to function creatively or I get lost in a forest of ideas, and end up doing nothing. This project is me picking a tree to sit under, and designing each individual leaf.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? Two weeks into it I can see how things are going to really develop with my project. I start out with a slight panic, but usually design something I can be proud of. Being creative is just like any exercise. Some days you have to force yourself to do the thing or you'll just never be in the shape to do it. Every time you finish you're loaded with endorphins. I'm satisfied every time I complete one of my Squarey Monsters. Aside from the benefit of accumulating an archive of characters I've felt it get easier to approach every single day. That's the real benefit. That's getting into creative shape. I expect when I finish my 365 day project I'll have another ready to go.



See all of Kurt's Monsters HERE.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Squarey Monsters! Love it!