Make Something Cool Every Day

Brock Davis decided to Make Something Cool Every Day for all of 2009, and he did...



Why did you decide to do this project? I didn't decide to do it on my own accord, my friend Olly actually came up with idea late December of 2008. He sent out an email on New Years Eve and said he was going to start a flickr group called Make Something Cool Every Day, where the participants will need to try and make some kind of creative piece each day in 2009,  uploading the pieces to the group
every day by midnight. So I thought I would give it a shot. I decided from the beginning that my goal would be to see the project through and make a piece of art every day for 365 consecutive days without missing a day.


 
What are the biggest lessons/skills you learned from doing your project? The biggest lesson for me was learning how to make the most out of my every day surroundings. I learned to be much more observant and how to recognize the creative potential (and hopefully extract it) from ordinary things that we don't think too much about: like a spider's web, a kettle, shoes, gum, laundry, etc. Every day objects become ordinary because we are used to them, I like the challenge of trying to make them interesting again.



In what ways did the project change your life? It made creativity and art exciting for me again, it made me feel like I was a kid again, when all ideas are new and spontaneous. It made me much stronger conceptually and executionally. I realized how execution really is the voice of an idea... and not all voices are alike. Even though the project is now finished, I still try to make work or at least
have an interesting idea every day. It keeps the brain fresh and new.



See all of Brock's cool things HERE.

No comments: