Field of Ponies

Julie Berube, a fashion designer from Montreal, Canada who currently resides in London UK is creating daily in her Field of Ponies project...


Why did you decide to do this project? I had my own womenswear label here in London for 6 years before having my 2 children and decided to put everything on hold. I'm preparing a fashion come-back for 2014, but right now I am mainly at home looking after my young daughter and son whilst I'm sketching and sourcing fabrics for my fashion line. I was looking for a project to keep me focussed on deadlines, to make me explore other mediums than the ones I normally use and also to generate a social media following (and get to grip with all the different platforms).

For many years I have been toying with the name "Field of Ponies" for a trade mark and when I got your book, I immediately new I had to make one pony a day. I'm not sure why, I know I have to do this project and that something good and exciting will come out of it (I've been asked to design T-shirts already!) My approach is to use stuff that I can put my hands on during that day. I don't want to buy anything specifically for the project nor do I spend too much time on it. I work fast and furiously!





How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I’m only two and a half weeks into the project, so it’s a little early to say how it has affected me. I try not to think about it too much because I want it to feel quite spontaneous. I find this challenging because I’ve had a small but faithful audience since day one – and I don’t want to disappoint them! I am very surprised at how people are responding to the project. Some have said it’s like receiving a gift every day and I hadn’t anticipated that reaction. In fact I thought they’d more likely be annoyed at seeing ponies every day on their Facebook feed! I feel it’s a privilege to provide my audience with a little smile every day, and bearing this in mind helps me to keep on going. I’ve had a lot of requests for t-shirts, which is something I will look into further down the line. I think what has changed the most for me since starting the project is that I now feel extremely connected to people. I haven’t been in an awkward situation as yet, but I think this will inevitably happen as I begin to create outside of my immediate environment. My motto is: start where you are, use what you have, do what you can!



You can see all of Julie's ponies on her blog or on Facebook.

No comments: