The Tangled Year

Chris Matthai in Salt Lake City, Utah is creating 365 sketches & doodles in The Tangled Year...


Why did you decide to do this project? I have wanted to develop my drawing skills for many years now. I have no formal art training except for having some really great teachers in high school 30 years ago. I needed something to force me to be more diligent in carrying my sketchbook everywhere and actually using it. By creating such a public project I know I will stick with it. I thought it would be fun and possibly inspire others as they watch my sketches (hopefully) get better throughout the year.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? Nothing has changed too much yet since I am only into this experiment since the beginning of this year. I am excited to see the enthusiasm some people have shown for the project, especially on Facebook. I noticed I am not just sketching just anything I see or just doodling everything that flies through my head. I seem to have become concerned with the actual content my sketches have. I seem to want some feelings to be transferred from me to anyone who might be watching. This could be good or bad. I haven't really decided yet. On one hand, that's what art is for right? On the other hand, these are just sketches and not finished pieces. I've noticed I'm not as hesitant to pull out my sketchbook as I was before. That's a huge leap for me. Now I need to not worry about what strangers think when I am drawing them.


See all of Chris's doodles HERE.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the feature Noah!