The 365 Day Bird Project

Peggy Turchette in Boulder, Colorado is doing The 365 Day Bird Project...





Why did I decide to do this project?  I am a freelance illustrator, and I was having such terrible burnout from working endlessly on assignment to other people's specs under truly insane deadlines, that I was starting to hate being an artist.   I really needed to do SOMETHING to reacquaint myself with the fun part of being an artist.  Also, I'd just moved, and for the first time had a real studio where I could make a big mess and not have to pick everything up at the end of the day.




How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life?  First, I am having way too much fun.  Second, I'm no longer making any money (good thing I'm also a dog-sitter).  Third, I am trying all kinds of mediums that I would have never worked in, since everybody hired me for just one particular style.  Fourth, I am thinking of myself in a whole new way, not as a "hired brush", but as a very interesting, creative, fun person.  Fifth, I have no social life, because I take care of dogs all day and make a bird every night.  (Actually, I didn't have a social life before, either, so that hasn't changed.




See all of Peggy's birds HERE

1 comment:

Christiana said...

These are super cute! What a fun idea!!