365 Music Project

Brandy D in Minneapolis, Minnesota was inspired by Skull-A-Day to start her 365 Music Project...


She explains: I spent countless days, watching, observing my friends and coworkers submit themselves to the music that was selected for them by industry giants.

As an advocate for local food and business, I wondered too if we were missing an opportunity with music. While a majority of America was busy eating up whatever was dished out, I saw that we were losing a bit of ourselves in our music. While the idea for the project rolled around my head for a number of years, it wasn’t until 2010 that I made my first attempt at putting it into action. The plan was simple: tweet a new song each day, don’t highlight the same artist twice in one month, and make every attempt to select artists not considered mainstream.

The idea seemed simple enough. But as the project progressed, the brevity of it all became increasingly clear: I needed to do much more that simply tweet one song per day in the hopes that maybe just one person would discover this artist. No. I needed to become an advocate for these artists as well.

So almost 100 songs into the project, I stopped. I deleted my twitter account with all the followers, all the songs, and simply walked away. Unsure if I would ever resume or retry the project again.

After the cajoling of a friend, it became clear that I needed to give the project another go. But this time things would be different. We would not only have Twitter, but Facebook, too. And a blog so we could review concerts, albums, and post pictures. Even a contributing writer or two.

And that’s where it stands today. A project that will hopefully link 365 different songs with 365 new fans.

Why did you decide to do this project?  To me music is as enriching as art. To stay within the parameters of the project, I must devote countless hours to seeking out new music and artists. I am very methodical about which songs I post and when, oftentimes trying to coincide them with world events or local concerts.

Selecting one song a day seems easy enough, but give it a month or so and it starts to wear on you! : )

How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? This is my second go-round with the project. In all honestly, I originally left it because I was in the process of getting a divorce. This is significant because one of the strange by-products of this project is that I can play through these playlists and literally remember every single day of that particular month. This is an odd revelation and, I must say, highly unique experience. (I scrapped the project originally because I didn't want to remember every single day of that experience).

Oftentimes it's hard for us to remember what we made for dinner last week, so listening to a playlist from two or three months ago and remembering the events of that particular day, followed by the next and so forth is highly unique but sorta cool, too.

Hear all of Brandy's musical selections HERE.


No comments: