Imelda's Cat A Day

Imelda Hinojosa in Southern California is doing a 365 day look at her drawing table called Cat A Day...


Why did you decide to do this project? Two years ago I did a "CAT A DAY" project, where I drew or presented a cat of some sort, each day. ( drawn, clay, bread, photo, etc) The following year I missed the daily challenge and habit that it had become. I decided to do a "Look into the work space", as a way to encourage myself to face that blank surface each day. And to expose when it is not a blank surface, but instead a cluttered mess, a collection of spills and paper shavings, cat hair and coffee cups molding away...


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I find that I look forward to posting, mostly. I find I am more productive and aware of how something can be photographed or used on the blog.  I enjoy the humor of my cat sprawled out on the surface, just as I'm about to start working, or the stillness of seeing the sun pour in the window and lay a pattern on the surface of my table...It keeps me rolling, instead of stalled: " wishing I was doing my art". Setting up my own guidelines; that my posting can be ANYthing, as long as it is in by the magic midnight hour, frees up the imagination. (In comparison to the more specific-CAT A DAY-where, some days I "didn't wanna".)


See all of Imelda's days HERE.

No comments: