Ann's 365 Days of Pattern

Ann Kilzer in Austin, Texas is creating 365 Days of Pattern...



Why did you decide to do this project? After studying both printmaking and computer science in college, I made the more practical choice to pursue a technical career, but always aimed to maintain my artistic interests. Now that I'm finished with grad school and have a more balanced life, this project gives me an opportunity to rekindle my creativity.

Why patterns? I've unknowingly been dabbling in this area for awhile, but I finally have decided to focus my work. As an art student, I often received comments that my work always had some "all-over pattern" to it. I doodled pages of repeating coat hangers in my math notebooks, admired vintage wallpapers and islamic designs, and secretly desired to become a textile designer. Now that I'm in my late 20s I feel inspired to make my dreams possible, even if it is in a small way. A year ago I discovered the works of Florence Broadhurst, who really elevated wallpaper and textile design to high art. I feel inspired to explore what kind of patterns I can make.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I'm finally putting my art studio and drafting table to good use. Doing this project has been really fulfilling. I have plans to start block printing on fabric in the coming weeks. It's really exciting to be making something with my hands again.

One unexpected change is that I'm getting lots feedback from friends on social media; specifically, many people are sharing patterns with me. It's very rewarding to see that my project is making other people think about art.

I've also extended my pattern blog to feature guest artists. I'm not part of any art community right now, so this is my attempt to connect with other artists online. I really had a great time interviewing Alyssa from Because Patterns. I found her work via Facebook, and am so thankful I reached out to her. Learning how she creates her work was very inspiring. See the full interview HERE.


See all of Ann's patterns HERE.

No comments: