Daily Shotgun

Esahn Dulin in New Orleans, Louisiana is making a Daily Shotgun, but it's probably not the kind you're thinking of. He says, "Everyday, I draw/paint/create a new shotgun house, which is a particular type of house in the south, particularly in New Orleans, my home."...



Why did you decide to do this project?  I chose to do this Project because I have always found Shotgun Houses to be very interesting structures. The ones in New Orleans vary in design and color scheme yet all seem to have the same narrow build and symmetrical doors and windows in the front. I thought creating different Shotgun Houses gave me a great level of both control and creativity.
Also, I wanted to make something that had to do with New Orleans. Although I am not from this city, it has had a large impact on me and I find it very inspiring.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? On an artist level, this project has made me more resourceful and creative. I tend to spend much of the day looking for what could look like a shotgun house or a new, unique way I can make one. I tend to create my most interesting pieces when midnight is very close.

Another affect this project has had on me is actually by improving my memory. I tend to be very forgetful, but I always remember I need to have a new house everyday. Over the past month, I feel a lot of other things in my life are easier to memorize. I feel it's a direct impact from doing this project.



 See all of Esahn's shotguns HERE.

No comments: