The Sweater Project

Janda Ferris in Southern California is spending a year doing what she calls: The Sweater Project. She explains, "I am addicted to felting (or 'fulling') sweaters to upcycle them to other items such as stuffed animals, pincushions, brooches, purses, and a multitude of things with a heart shape! Since I am one of those people who overthinks and procrastinates on actually doing the projects--wanting to make them as close to perfect as possible :-/--I haven't actually made the items I have been dreaming about. Until now! Your book suggested writing a blog to keep the 365 idea going with support, encouragement, and accountability. Though I don't have many people checking into my blog it has given me somehow the on-going motivation I need to keep up every day."...





Why did I decide to do this project? I wanted to have a fire lighted under me to get myself going on making the projects I have been wanting to create. I have been THINKING for the last 2-3 years, so it was time I buckled down and started to stitch. My goal for this is to just sew my heart out and see where this leads for me. I have thought about selling my items, or writing tutorials, or teaching classes, but I am only going to let time do the work and enjoy the journey.





How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? My life has become so much happier. If I am doing something creative, it changes my whole approach to life. My days are more energized, enthusiastic, and there is way less non-important time-fillers than previously. I am a night owl anyway, and this just gives me a reason to have something mind-exercising to do in the evening. I find myself racing with the clock at times to get my blog written by the stroke of midnight.

I realize also how much I love to write. A few years ago I went to Alaska for a month to work with someone who raised and trained sled dogs for the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Every night I sent an e-mail to family and friends about my daily adventures. That was really a blog in a more "primitive" form. That was very therapeutic for me, and I find this blogging to be that as well.

I am today on Day 30 and going strong. I feel that the blog is helping make me accountable and is keeping me on track.




See all of Janda's projects HERE.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

beautiful! keep it up, you'll get there Janda...