Art Every Day

My friend Jennifer Gorman decided she should make Art Every Day!...


Why did you decide to do this project? The conversation we had at Germanna [Community College] when you visited campus sparked my interest in a project like this.  It really got me thinking, could I make something everyday?  Could I open a conversation with others in the community?  Could I make my voice as an artist any clearer?  I'm pretty broad on what counts as 'art every day'  sometimes its a meal, a painting, a poem or a sketch.  That has kept it fun and fresh for me.  And while it seemed simple at first, and is in theory; totally different story around a real life.


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? It has really changed the way I think about the everyday tasks that lay before me.  I try and see how I can do something different, and make it into art sometimes.  I've also kinda been inspired by different forms of self-portraiture, mostly photos, but some days when what I actually worked on doesn't inspire me, or didn't have a chance to do what i wanted, I'm able to artfully take a self-portrait as my art...what a different view of myself I get from that.  I'm currently working on a self portrait series of mixed media because of this realization... that I may have never considered before this project.

I have actually met a ton of people through Art Every Day.  Folks I never even knew were interested in art have come out of the woodwork to tell me how much they enjoy, how inspired they are, and how much fun it is to make something, and share along in the make every day experience.  The community building around this project has been the most fun. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't add that – it's a lot of work.  Not necessarily the making art part, but the posting part!  Life happens, exams, births, weddings, funerals, some of those days I don't post, although I have made something, I feel a little guilt, but get over it pretty quick and move on.  It's the journey, not the post about the journey that matters.


See all of Jennifer's Art on her site HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your continued inspiration, community building and sharing within the arts community!

--Jennifer