365 Days of Star-Gazing

Lena Josfeld from "mostly" Jena in Germany is doing 365 Days of Star-Gazing...



Why did you decide to do this project? Lately, I have felt a great urge to be creative in some way, but no matter what I tried, nothing seemed to work for me. In times like that, at some point, my brain always discovers the 'emergency switch' - and once more, like so many times before, the idea surfaced to start a long-time project. (To tell the truth, I was not very enthusiastic about it, then.)

I spent some time pondering different subjects for this project, many of them sounding quite fancy: I liked the subjects as such, but they didn't exactly trigger creativity. Then I thought of stars. And I thought what a boring, predictable subject that was. Until my brain suddenly started working on ist own accord and bombarded me with ideas, keeping me awake until 3 in the morning. For some reason, those stars got me really excited and I was completely taken. I didn't ask why. I simply accepted the challenge.

Later, I found some very good reasons why I should pick stars as my constant companions for the next year. Here are some:
  • It's a subject that may be simple enough to make it possible for me to work on it every day for an entire year.
  • It also offers a lot of possibilities to make this challenging and creative for when I feel like it (and when I find the time - full-time university student, me).
  • I have actually been interested in stars (those real shining objects out in the night sky) for years which even got me to learn some physics along the way.
  • They are always there - whether we see them or not. I like to be reminded of that.
  • Then again, many stars are not there anymore. What we see is really a window to the past. - Also a very interesting notion.
  • You cannot have sunshine in your life every single day. But how about a little more starshine? After all, there isn't much of a difference.
  • There seems to be no limit. No human mind could possibly conceive the limit of the number of stars out there - should there be one at all.

How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? With a whole lot of excitement! There are moments when I cannot sit still, I just have to work on it. On the other hand, I'm beginning to relax more and not be as perfectionist about my work as before - which is a good thing! And I'm just getting started...
 
What I really love about this challenge is how many different and new techinques I can try now - and I don't have to spend hours wondering what exactly I'm going to make using these techniques.


See all of Lena's stars HERE.

No comments: