Simulacrum Follow-up

I'm periodically checking back in with some folks who have completed their 365 projects...

Angie Niemand finished her year long Simulacrum project on December 31, 2011...



What are the biggest lessons/skills you learned from doing your project? One of the big lessons was learning to focus more on overall composition and not just on the subject of a photo.  I spent more time on framing within the viewfinder and less time just pointing and shooting.  In addition when I would develop and frame a finished photo, I would spend more time working on presentation.  I gave more thought into which mat and frame would complement the photo and highlight its best qualities.  In an age of Photoshop I liked being able to post work that had not been electronically manipulated or edited.

I also took various art classes and workshops throughout the year.  Through this I discovered a new interest in printmaking and especially in the hand carving of wood blocks.  I am really excited about this and cannot wait to invest in my own set of fancy Japanese carving tools.




In what ways did the project change your life? This project changed my life through finding new artistic interests, and developing my other skill sets.  By examining a year’s worth of work, I discovered that investing in a macro lens for my SLR might be a good idea as I seem to really like shooting tiny things.



Now what? For now I have started another blog, Parts of a Bird, to post finished work less regularly than a daily 365.  I am planning to work on a larger series of the light box photos I did earlier in 2011 with the intention of a future show.  In addition I plan on developing skills in woodcuts and printmaking.  I may return to doing a 365 in 2013 when I am done with grad school using 365: A Daily Creativity Journal as an inspirational guide.



Read her original 365 interview HERE.



See all of her simulacra HERE.

No comments: