A Guy In The Life: 365

Heather Ingram in Horn Lake, Mississippi is creating A Guy in the Life:365. She explains that it's, "A photo a day of someone wearing a Guy Fawkes mask that is often associated with the Occupy movement and the 99%.  The name comes from the Beatles song 'A Day in the Life'."...



Why did you decide to do this project? I have always wanted to do a 365 project.  But I did not want to do just any shot a day.  I found that would not challenge me the way I wanted it to if I were to do a project.  The Occupy movement was in full swing.  Something that I support very much.  I am not in a position to participate but I wanted to bring attention to it in some manner.  I happened to own a Guy Fawkes mask (I have since bought two more) and it just clicked.  I would do a shot a day of someone wearing the mask.  The 99% going about their daily routines.  Sometimes a conceptual shot for fun. I began on the 5th of November 2011, Guy Fawkes Day.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I have never been a portrait photographer, rarely would I photograph people.  I have had to learn how to pose people, how to give direction and how to get the lighting the way I want it.  It has challenged my imagination as well. Brainstorming ideas has provided more than a few laugh and I wake up constantly trying to think up the next shot.  It ends up being an obsession.  Being rather shy and socially inept,  I sweated for two hours over asking the Santa Claus at a local museum if he would wear the mask.  Finally I just went to him and asked and he agreed to it.  I have had to learn to ask, get over being shy about it and realize the worst they can do is say no.  When I review everything to date, I am quite proud of myself for pulling it off. Being only a fourth of the way into the project, I still have a long way to go.  I am both eager to see the end and dreading it being over.








See all of Heather's Guys HERE.
 

No comments: