365 Post Combat Poems

Domenica Campbell in Shelton, Washington is making 365 Post Combat Poems. She explains, "Poems which reflect my life and experiences as the wife and caregiver of a disabled veteran suffering from severe combat PTSD compounded by a traumatic brain injury. I respect my husband probably more than he’ll ever know; he sacrificed so much for our country, lost his career and a once vibrant and fulfilled way of life. He is my hero and inspiration for this '365 day' project."...




Why did you decide to do this project? I have been wanting to write a book for a couple of years now, but have not been able to get into any kind of meaningful routine or establish a disciplined pattern for staying focused and on track.  In an effort to "force" accountability into writing on a daily basis, I decided to post "a poem a day" (some previously composed, some adapted from blog posts to poems, some brand new compositions).  Although I have not promoted my blog, I still feel beholden to myself to make sure every day a poem is composed and posted.

How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? Well although as I mentioned I have not promoted my blog, or even told my family what I'm doing (!), I feel an obligation to the project which has given me focus, discipline, and pulls creativity from the most unexpected sources.  My husband or a co-worker might say something or ask me something or I might perform an action which makes me think "hmm, I need to write a poem about that."

Even though I only began this project on July 4th, I find myself regularly jotting down notes, and recording voice memos during the day when I find myself inspired by a topic for a poem.  At night when I have a chance to sit down and pull all my thoughts together from the day, I can compose something meaningful to me.  Some of my poems are free verse and do not rhyme, they are not meant to rhyme, which can sometimes detract from the depth, mood and intensity of the words.

Most of all.... I'm having a blast and feeling very proud of myself :)

Read all of Domenica's poems HERE.

No comments: