Simulacrum

Angie Neimand in Richmond, Virginia is creating daily in her Simulacrum project...



Why did you decide to do this project?  I didn’t decide, but was coerced by my friend, the ever-talented Madonna Dersch.  She is like the shadowy, lurking in the alley, pusher of art supplies.  Medium gloss varnish in particular. That being said, I liked the idea of incorporating creativity in my life on a more regular basis.



How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? I have virtually “met” lots of cool people through this project.   I like how everyone feeds off of each other’s creativity.  Inspirations and collaborations abound.

Personally, I’ve had to embrace my own process, even when it doesn’t work out so well in the end.  I’ve taken a lot of pictures of my neighbor’s plants when pressed for time.  I’ve posted some things for my project that I don’t care for.  Like this for example. This is currently residing in a landfill somewhere because when I tried to salvage the parts I ripped the canvas beyond repair.

My goal was to be creative every day, not be perfect.  Being able to accept that not everything I do is good is a great way to keep that nagging perfectionism in check.  That being said, there are a few things on there I’m proud of.  It reminds me of an interview I read once in which a National Geographic photographer said he only finds a few usable prints in every thousand photos he takes.  The point is you are doing it.  You are being creative and even when it doesn’t pan out the way you wanted it to, it still leads you into your next project which may work out just fine.  Just keep on making stuff.

Eye Chart!

See all of Angie's simulacra HERE.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

Very life affirming to create something daily.

Curious Art said...

Love that eye chart!

lsaspacey said...

Yay, Angie!

Joel Bermúdez said...

The colors in the second piece are delicious... beautiful. Love it!