Project Bloom

Deborah Uhlig in Rancho Cordova, California is making daily flowers in Project Bloom...



Why did you decide to do this project? I started this project because I needed help finding my creative side again. Life had become so dull and had a processed feeling. Working for the school system didn't seem to help, the depressing talk of budget cuts and the over inflated curriculum. This was starting to even bring my children down, both just becoming teens can now see how life can get to you with the demands of good grades and testing scores. I just happen to be walking through a craft store when I came across your book. We had just moved into our new home and the previous owners had planted and landscaped so many different flowers I love it and I was so inspired, like a spark being lit. I had to share, so using your ideas(sort of) I decided to make blooms out of anything and everything. (if possible)


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? My project has given me commitment. Showing my kids sticking with something till the end, whether or not people understand or think it's a waste of time. With the fast paced demands of school, kids, work, and just life in general focusing on something and completing it is nearly impossible.This project has help me focus and realize all the creative, think outside the box, things I've stuffed down inside me to placate the demands of "fitting in", "keeping up with the Jones's" (who ever they really are) are still there. It truly has brought back more of my imagination and help me learn to relax and enjoy the finer more simple thing things life has to offer.



See all of her flowers HERE.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

go for it Deborah its a great idea... love the different kinds of flowers, good on you!

keep on enjoying it and being inspired, its a lovely project.

Deborah said...

Thank you! I'm glad you like it, that helps keep me going.