365 Days of Craft

Bronwyn Bowerman in Melbourne, Australia is doing 365 Days of Craft...




Why did you decide to do this project?  due the desire to be more creative. I work full-time as a clothing designer (and have done for 5 years) for very commercial fashion labels such as "Mossimo", "No Fear" and various licensed clothing labels. Although the work is good, it is not very creative. I guess most people would think that working as a "fashion designer" sounds like an extremely creative and glamorous job! the reality is designing for commercial companies is very creatively restrictive. Companies want to copy what is happening "overseas" or what is selling in a higher end sector of the market, interpreting that into their own label.

My other incentive is that hopefully this will lead me towards a form of work where I can be more creative (and paid well enough to pay the mortgage!) perhaps i will go on to teach craft classes? write a book? be paid to do a blog?? have an column in a newspaper or magazine??? hmmm maybe all of the above would be nice HA HA HA (just "putting it out to the universe" as my aunty jude would say!)


How has doing a yearlong/daily project affected your life? so far it has caused abit of chaos after work... my house is certainly messier... but I am starting to get more organised and think ahead. I also find throughout the day I am constantly thinking more creatively, looking at every object in the home or workplace considering how I could reinvent it, recycle it or recreate it. I have made it to the 2 week mark and I am excited to see what the next 50 weeks bring.


See all of Bronwyn's crafts HERE.


1 comment:

Trish Goodfield said...

Don't laugh at your dreams and goals. I have a creative business that is our sole source of income, have written a book called 'How to Teach Art & Craft"(ISBN 9781446184837) and write a weekly art/ craft column for a local magazine.
You can do it too.